Thursday, March 31, 2011

Matthew 10:37-38

Anyone who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me.

The price of following is pretty steep. The call is to put Jesus, and Jesus alone above all else in our lives. And if you don't, you just aren't worthy of Him. He was speaking these words to the twelve before he sent them out, a little pep talk if you will. The irony is eleven of them scattered like roaches when He was arrested and the twelfth one betrayed Him. Those men followed Him for years. They heard Him speak, saw Him heal, felt the very power of God in His words, His actions. But yet, they couldn't even resist running and abandoning Him.

Nobody is worthy of Him. How is there even hope for me of those who spent years in His very company failed Him? He knows my weaknesses, He understands my struggles, He knows I am so unable to do all He requires and asks, so unable to be worthy of Him on my own. That's the thing that really shows us something special to us about Jesus. His unfathomable love, mercy and grace. In my weaknesses, His strength is shown. In my struggles, He secures victory for me. In my worthlessness to be worthy of Him, He writes my name in the book of life.

No comments: